Friday, November 24, 2006

Take Two

My sewing machine is in the hands of the Sears repair people now. I dropped it off on Wednesday. I miss the little bugger. I hope it comes back as good as new next Thursday. I appreciate it even more so after I tried to use my mom's sewing machine over Thanksgiving. Let's just say that little Singer and I didn't get off on the right foot. I got it all tangled up and it wasn't nearly as user friendly as my Kenmore. I didn't end up getting any sewing done. It was just an exercise in frustration.

That being said, I'm in the mood for welcoming more testy machines into my life. Any recommendations on sergers? I'm looking at the Janome and Husqvarna brands and then going from there.

In any case, I really did get to practice my knitting since my sewing machine is out of commission. I found Knittinghelp.com to be an invaluable resources--thank you Karyn! I watched the cast on video about, hmm, 20 some times. I finally got it. I was missing one last loop through, but now I am completely confident is doing the long-tail cast on. And I can do it fairly quickly. For the life on me, I don't know why the session at Stiches East taught some cumbersome needle cast on method. This is so much easier and it has such a natural rhythm. I even got my knit stitch down fairly well--I think--I need to double check the video. Look what I did just this morning. It's pretty much my second real attempt.

I'm so proud of myself! For those of you that missed the previous attempt and don't understand why I'm so proud, see here. I'm going to give myself the most improved award! I know I still have a long, long way to go, but I'm going to shot for a scarf by mid winter. Plus, these a lovely new yarn shop in Hampden, Lovely Yarns that has some classes and a sit-n-knit.

I also learned how to make pom-poms. So I'm making a bunch for a Christmas garland for the mirror above the fireplace. I'm hoping the curious kitties won't be able to get up there.


Tomorrow I'm at Bazarrt at the American Visionary Art Musuem from 10am-5pm!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your knitting!!

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh LOOK! i see KNITTING! holes included! it looks quite beautiful actually. and i am not saying that to be nice, it really does.

i can't help you on a serger since the only kind we have they don't make anymore. We have a Babylock (or however you spell it) they still make sewing achines but stopped on the sergers. We stole it from my seamstress aunt, then officially bought it like 8 months later.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats! i just started knitting recently too! i basically knit, pulled the stitches out, knit, pulled the stitches out on repeat until i thought it looked decent. it took a while. ;)
oh, i love the american visionary art museum! last time i was in baltimore a friend took me.

9:21 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I love those pom poms!!

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks SO good! I'll still never do it.

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

I *Heart* Craftster
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
« Blog Baltimore »