Monday, November 06, 2006

My first ever attempt at knitting

As noted below the big Stitches East convention was here in Baltimore over the weekend. I went on Sunday with a friend and signed up for the learn to knit session. I was pretty excited. I certainly didn't think I was going to bust out some perfect sock in an hour long class. But I've always been good with my hands from sewing to origami. And hey, I know how to use chopsticks. But nothing could have prepared me for how poorly I faired at knitting. I never even held knitting needles in my hands before Sunday. No women in my family knit. With all of that knowledge, here's a look at what I did in an hour.


Prepare yourself.


It's not pretty . . .


Turn back now before it's too late!






That's it--an hour's worth of work! Other people were turning out neat rows and there's my crazy mess of a knot. There are parts I totally botched past the point of no return. I propped the needles against my belly to try to hold them steady as I knitted. I learned to cast on, knit and cast off. Most of the class got to purling. Not me. I came home with a needles and a whole skein of yarn so I'm going to practice. I need to try it tonight because I'm afraid I'll forget or I already have.

4 Comments:

Blogger Karyn said...

Don't get discouraged!!! Suddenly, you will "get it". I don't really have any advice except for keep at it. I love knitting. There's nothing like a hand knit pair of socks, mittens or scarf!

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep it up! I am a new knitter, and there have been many times that I have -no- idea what Im doing, but I still stay will it, good or bad! (Mostly bad, haah!) I still can't cast on x_X

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh rebecca! it's really not ALL THAT BAD after all! i'll tell you something, when i first learned to knit years ago all i ever made were things like you just posted. knots, messes, then rectangles of rows with big holes, botched stitches, and things that didn't resemble rectangles or squares at all some truely hideous knitting. And when peole ask me so what did you knit when you first learned? i say billions and billion of little rectangles or things not really resembling rectangles at all. because i just kept at it. do not rip out do not try to go backwards. heave ho and go onward. keep all of the messes you make. You WILL eventually get it and then one day you will look back and say to some other new knitter man i DID that too..and quite frankly they were some pretty FINE messes! let me look up some good knitting resources for you.

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! I love that you posted that picture! I wouldn't have had the courage! That's exactly why I am so scared to try it...I'm scared I'll get really frustrated and grumpy. I'm sure you'll be a natural at it though!

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

I *Heart* Craftster
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
« Blog Baltimore »