Thursday, September 21, 2006

Fall=Apples=Yum!

Fall is coming. George and I walked over to the theater last night to see Half Nelson (very good) and it was rather brisk. While walking home my teeth even started chattering. So I have to get over the fact that I seemed to miss out on a lot of my summer traditions (I didn't even swim in the ocean once! Or make popsicles!) and embrace the fall.
One thing I really like about the fall is apples. And baking with apples. The Washington Post Food section had lots of recipes with apples the other week. I haven't tried any yet. I'm hoping to make the apple cake this weekend. But I do have a favorite to share.

I call them Apple Pie Squares because that's what they taste and look like.
Here's the deal:
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
3/4 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
4-6 apples, peeled and chopped (about 3 cups)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13x9 inch pan or two 8x8 pans. Combine all the dry ingredients. Add eggs, butter and vanilla. Add nuts (if you feel like it) and apples and mix well. The batter will be very chunky. Spread it out into the pan(s). Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes. I find these squares to be kinda wet sometimes. If needed I take it out and cut them and put them back in again to dry them out a bit. But that's just me.
Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am not a fan of apples normally, but wow, i so wish i could make this tonight!!!! missing half the ingredients including the apples.... :(

sounds delightful!!!

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

I *Heart* Craftster
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
« Blog Baltimore »