Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Craft on! Felt Coasters

I finally broke out of my little rut by being a tad productive the other night. When I felt sweaters to make my scarves, I often have left over scraps. I sometimes use bits and pieces for other adornment on the scarves or bags, but I still have a big bag of scraps. So to use some of them up I decided to make some felt coasters. Wool is great because it naturally resists moisture.
Here's a quick felting lesson if you've never done it, although you've probably done it accidentally. I do it in the washing machine. Take a wool sweater and wash it in hot water. It will shrink up. You may have to do it a few times. Here's a before and after photo of one of my sweaters:

To make the coasters I cut out 5 good sized circles from the felt. I also choose another cotton fabric to cut slightly smaller circles from. I had some fun diner fabric left over from making hotpads. Simply sew the cotton circle onto the felt circle. Then I did some decorative stitching too. If I were to do it again, I might use some interfacing in between the two. I though the felt would be pretty sturdy, but it could use the extra stability of the interfacing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

I *Heart* Craftster
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
« Blog Baltimore »