Monday, February 27, 2006

The Baltimore Fine Craft Show

Yesterday, George and I made our annual trip to the Craft Council's craft show in downtown Baltimore . Ever since we moved here, we've been helping George's mom's college roommate take down her display at the show. So we get in free to wander around for about an hour and then we take down Sally's whole set up. It doesn't take much time at all now that we have a routine.
Normally we just speed through the huge show. A lot of the work just isn't our cup of tea. I'm not saying these people don't love their craft and do fine work. It's just that a lot of it doesn't fit our aesthetic. Sometimes I find some things I'm interested in. This year I found the needle in the haystack again. Domestic Element: subtle sophisticated satire-- historic pattern design with a contemporary twist. Jessica hand and digitally prints her own fabrics putting a twist on toile and Americana. At this show she had pillows, shoulder bags, silk scarves, and some wall hangings. I was drawn in right away by the "Cars Go Beep" print.

There's a lot more on her website. I just love the sense of humor behind the designs. It makes you look a little more closely at the toile patterns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

I *Heart* Craftster
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
« Blog Baltimore »