Sunday, August 05, 2007

More weekend projects

Finally, finally I put my serger to use. The classes I went to really helped me get oriented to it. The threading wasn't so bad and I just used two stiches--the four thread overlock and a rolled stitch. So I whipped up a skirt made from some t-shirts that George's parent's brought back from vacations. It's not that he didn't like the shirts, but for some reason is parents still think he wears XL shirts like he did in high school. In reality he wears a small, or if it's American Apparel, a medium. So I put the t-shrits to good use. I just needed two shirts to make a skirt so I choose one from China featuring the Great Wall and one from Costa Rica featuring an exploding volcano. I cut up eight pannels and put them all together. Then I did the waistband with elastic and finished the hem with a roll. It's may first clothing constuction in a long time. The serger made it really easy, but there's still some things I'd change so it was a learning experience. Next I want to try a skirt pattern I found in a vintage book. Again, I think the serger will make it go quickly.
Anyway, the finished product is below. The front and back--the little wonky part on the back is just because I was sitting on it all scrunched up.

I also made two pillows. I've been wanting to make some new pillows for quite awhile. And now I really want a new couch. The pillows are both bade from scarves and I've got a bunch more that I think will look good together. Photos will come.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger annie-san said...

go, serger queen, go!

(good idea for the gigantic tees, btw.)

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

I *Heart* Craftster
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
« Blog Baltimore »