Sunday, March 04, 2007

American Craft Show Review (Baltimore)

Last weekend George and I made our annual trip to the American Craft Show in downtown Baltimore. As always we were helping out Sally Dillon take down here booth. She had some gorgeous new quilts this years. The perk is we get in free to take a look around. So last Sunday we braved the horrid weather to take a peek and take Sally's booth down in record time.
I was pleasantly surprised with some newcomers to the scene this year. This year the American craft Council had a special section of "Searchlight Artists." These young artists were nominated by department chairs at certain schools or by Council jurors or the editorial team of American Craft. There were 15 in total and while they didn't have really booths, they still had a nice, more gallery style display. I tried to get a card from just about everybody, but there's one guy whose card I didn't get and I can't find his name in the program--in fact, I don't think the Searchlight Artists are in there!
Anne Selden had a fun collection on clothing--something that really needs a more contemporary feel in the craft scene. Anne's collection was bright and colorful with lots of little unexpected details from the pockets to pleating to different cuts. I really coveted a two layered green jacket for myself.
Heather Mae Erickson displayed a collection of ceramic pieces. The colors were so light and eartheral. One design I particuallrly liked was small mugs that has space for your fingers to rest in, so it wa almost C-shaped.
There were also a couple booths outside of the Searchlight Artist area that I liked.
eko logic sells super soft clothing made from recycled cashmere sweaters. I really wanted a skirt, but couldn't quite justify putting it on the credit card.
aviva stanoff had a collection of sumptous pilows. I walked through the display feeling up the pillows with print on velvet because the texture looked to real--feather, ferns and flowers adorn the pillows. They seem almost luminescent.

I mentioned that I was afraid my cats would destroy the pillows, and one of the women working the booth assured my she had cats as well and got along famously with the pillows.
All in all one of the best years I had a the craft show--except for the snow.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

I *Heart* Craftster
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
« Blog Baltimore »